When driving on the highway, you're almost always in close proximity to commercial trucks. Depending on the time of day and location, you may also find this to be true when driving in the city.
There are many common causes of a car-truck accident, all of which you need to be aware of. The knowledge you collect can help you avoid trouble on the road.
- Inadequate training: There is nothing you can do about this, as some trucking companies don't provide drivers with the training they require.
- Reckless driving: All forms of reckless driving, ranging from speeding to failure to signal, can cause an accident.
- Distracted driving: When a driver isn't paying attention to the road, they're more likely to cause an accident.
- Drowsy driving: If a trucker is too tired to drive, they should move to safety and take a break. If this doesn't happen, there's a greater chance of the person causing a crash.
- Unrealistic schedule: Some trucking companies set unrealistic schedules, which pushes the driver to speed and/or not get the required amount of rest.
By paying attention to what's going on around you, it's easier to determine if a trucker is not driving as safely as they could.
In the event of a car-truck accident, there's a good chance you'll suffer an injury. Not to mention the damage to your vehicle.
The first thing you should do is attempt to move your car to safety. From there, check for injuries and call 911 for help. Once you receive medical treatment, you can contact your insurance company to file a claim. This is also the time for you to learn more about the accident, including the cause and how to protect your legal rights.